Adapting to the impacts of climate change, whether at the national, subnational or community level, is not the responsibility of governments alone. It requires the coordinated input of multiple stakeholders, including local authorities, development partners and civil society. Businesses and investors also need to be involved. The strategic and well-informed inclusion of the private sector in climate change adaptation activities is a key part of developing countries’ efforts to adapt to the impacts of climate change. The involvement of the private sector is not only desired, but necessary.
- Outlines the enabling factors that facilitate private sector engagement in NAP processes, namely information sharing, financing, capacity building, institutional arrangements, and policies and regulations;
- Offers practical guidance on how countries can design their NAPs to ensure that the private sector is engaged across the three phases of the NAP process: planning, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation (M&E);
- Provides examples of instances where the private sector has successfully engaged with the NAP process, as well as with climate change adaptation more broadly.
You can watch a recording and review the webinar’s presentations below.
The webinar agenda was:
- Introduction and moderation (Christian Ledwell, NAP Global Network)
- Engaging the Private Sector in NAP Processes (Alec Crawford, NAP Global Network)
- Red Stripe | We Take the Lead: Change the game (Dianne Ashton-Smith, Red Stripe)
- Saint Lucia’s Engagement of the Private Sector (Snaliah Mahal, Government of Saint Lucia)
Introduction: NAP Global Network | Christian Ledwell, NAP Global Network
Engaging the Private Sector in NAP Processes | Alec Crawford, NAP Global Network
Red Stripe — We Take the Lead: Change the game | Dianne Ashton-Smith, Red Stripe
Saint Lucia’s Engagement of the Private Sector | Snaliah Mahal, Government of Saint Lucia
About the NAP Global Network’s Webinar Series
The NAP Global Network’s webinar series provides an online forum for sharing lessons and experiences that are emerging as countries progress through their NAP processes. Each webinar addresses a specific technical topic related to national adaptation planning through presentations of countries’ experiences, relevant research and guidance, and opportunities for discussion by participants.
Watch recordings and read presentations from our previous webinars:
- Linking National and Sub-national Adaptation: Vertical integration in NAP processes
- Unlocking NAP Finance: Methodologies for adaptation project formulation
- Strategies for financing NAP implementation
- Sector Integration in the NAP Process
- Vertical Integration in NAP Processes: Linking national and sub-national adaptation
- Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) in the NAP Process
- Domestic Finance for the NAP process
- International Public Finance for the NAP Process
- Gender-Responsive NAP Processes
Publisher: International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD)