Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) in National Adaptation Plan (NAP) Processes
Exploring a pathway for realizing rights and resilience to climate change
Governments around the world are advancing their National Adaptation Plan (NAP) processes in an effort to build resilience to the negative impacts of climate change. With increased attention to gender issues in adaptation action comes an opportunity to ensure that NAP processes take sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) issues into consideration.
This report explores the extent to which NAP processes recognize the linkages between climate change adaptation and the realization of SRHR, including maternal and newborn health, voluntary modern contraception, and gender-based violence. It draws on analysis of 19 NAP documents submitted to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change by low- and medium- income countries, a sample of sector-specific NAPs for the health sector, and a selection of funding proposals for adaptation planning support from the Green Climate Fund.
The analysis presented in this report explores the extent to which NAP processes recognize the impacts of climate change on SRHR, as well as how gaps in realization of SRHR exacerbate vulnerability to climate change. It aims to promote an integrated and inclusive approach that moves countries forward on the mutually supportive objectives of resilience to climate change and realization of SRHR.
- Toolkit for a Gender-Responsive Process to Formulate and Implement National Adaptation Plans (NAPs)
- Advancing Gender-Responsive Climate Action Through National Adaptation Plan (NAP) Processes | NAP Global Network Synthesis Report, 2019–2020
- Virtual Learning Session | Gender Equality in NAP Processes: Assessing vulnerabilities and identifying adaptation options
- Blog | Five Steps to Ensure Your Private Sector Engagement is Gender Responsive
- Video | Gender-responsive National Adaptation Plan (NAP) processes
- Webinaire | Les progrès réalisés dans l’avancement de processus de PNA qui répondent aux questions de genre
- Les progrès réalisés dans l’avancement de processus de PNA qui répondent aux questions de genre : nos réponses à vos questions
- Theme | Gender
Publisher: International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) and Women Deliver