In 2015, the global community adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Paris Agreement and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR); all of which have substantial areas of overlap and clear convergence of objectives related to strengthening resilience, fostering sustainable development and reducing vulnerability to climate change and disasters.
The global agendas provide the overarching frame for guiding national policy efforts on DRM, CCA and SDGs, as national governments are working to operationalize the commitments under these international agreements. Within countries, a number of policy processes and strategies have been established under these global agendas. These include National Adaptation Plan (NAP) processes, Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), strategies to achieve the SDGs and DRR strategies. Building strategic linkages and coordinating actions of the policy processes will likely maximize the outcome of related goals, increase the effectiveness of different actions and enable smart use of resources.
To date, the research on good examples of coherent policy processes under different agendas is limited. This webinar aimed at NAP teams, DRR practitioners and other stakeholders interested in getting started on aligning different policy processes by identifying enabling factors and learn about first efforts and good practices from country examples. In particular, it will:
- Provide background on the rationale for alignment and where the different global agendas connect
- Present national approaches to coherence in climate change adaptation and disaster risk management
- Explore how the NAP process can be aligned with obligations countries have under other agendas
- The role of development cooperation in supporting coherence
- Alignment to Advance Climate-Resilient Development | Anika Terton, NAP Global Network
- Common Ground between the Paris Agreement and the Sendai Framework – National Approaches | Nicolina Lamhauge, OECD
- Lessons on Alignment from Nepal’s Experience | Dr. Maheshwar Dhakal, Chief, Climate Change Management Division, Ministry of Forests and Environment, Nepal
- Lessons on Alignment from the NAP Global Support Programme (NAP-GSP) in Bhutan | Ugyen Dorji and Netra Sharma, UNDP Bhutan