The NAP Global Network has been working with the Environment, Forest and Climate Change Commission (EFCCC) in Ethiopia since 2016 to turn their National Adaptation Plan (NAP) into action, particularly at the subnational level.
We are helping the government engage national and regional stakeholders on key issues related to the NAP process through dialogue and capacity-building processes. We are also supporting the development of strategic documents that will help guide the implementation and resource mobilization for the implementation of the NAP.
- Resource mobilization strategy (ongoing): Government actors will have a concrete strategy to secure resources for adaptation through domestic budgeting, international climate financing and the private sector.
- Implementation roadmap (ongoing): Created strategies for each adaptation option and NAP priority, providing stakeholders with a clear way forward for implementing adaptation actions.
- NAP Assembly: Gained the support of development partners towards the implementation of the NAP.
- Climate change mainstreaming tools: Updated guidelines for sector, regional and district-level institutions to integrate climate change adaptation in their planning and budgeting, as addressed in the NAP.
- Gender analysis report: Provided key stakeholders with a guide on how to integrate gender considerations into the country's NAP processes.
2017 - 2018
- Regional stakeholder workshops: More than 230 stakeholders introduced to the NAP, trained on adaptation and engaged in identifying regional-level priorities.
- Launch of NAP document: Increased awareness of the NAP process among government representatives, development partners and the media.
We can transform our strategy for implementation of our NAP into action through partnership and collaboration with development partners to build a more economically vibrant, socially inclusive and environmentally sustainable country.
Professor Fekadu Beyene
Commissioner for Ethiopia's Environment,
Forest and Climate Change Commission