The NAP Global Network worked with the Environmental Protection Agency and the Ministry of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation (MESTI) in Ghana from 2018 to 2020 to support the planning and implementation of the country’s NAP processes.
We helped the country build political support for the NAP process among decision-makers at the national and subnational levels. Our goal was to increase the integration of climate change adaptation into the country’s medium and long-term development plans.
We also helped to strengthen the resilience of energy, water and transportation infrastructures to the impacts of climate change through the development of a sector-focused adaptation strategy and a corresponding 5 to 10-year investment plan. Finally, we worked to engage the private sector in climate adaptation initiatives by creating an engagement strategy that identified key stakeholders and recommendations on strategic alliances.
- Integrating Gender Considerations Into Ghana's National Adaptation Plan Process: Provided a strategy for the effective integration of gender considerations throughout the main activities of Ghana's NAP process. Ghana has committed to developing a fully gender- integrated NAP that clearly describes women’s and men’s different climate vulnerabilities, as well as a roadmap of actions to address them.
- Private Sector Engagement Strategy: Provided the government with the knowledge, tools and strategy needed to engage the country's private sector in the NAP process - with a particular focus on agriculture, financial services, construction, mining and MSMEs.
- Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan for the Infrastructure Sector: Established key adaptation strategies to strengthen the resilience of Ghana's water, energy and transportation infrastructures to the impacts of climate change.
- National and sub-national workshops: Introduced the NAP Framework and process to key decision-makers, including parliamentarians and district chiefs, and kicked off the process of building considerable political support and momentum for the NAP.
- Ghana's NAP Framework: Established a vision for Ghana's NAP process, including the guiding principles, approach, and structures that will drive the NAP process forward.