The NAP Global Network worked with the Ministry of Environment of Peru to develop its National Adaptation Plan and strengthen the implementation of its adaptation processes through a multi-stakeholder participatory process. We assisted in the design of their monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) system, in building capacity and financing for M&E, and in increasing national awareness of Peru’s climate adaptation agenda.
We also supported Peru in aligning its NAP framing and priorities with its nationally determined contributions (NDCs), developing the Framework Law on Climate Change (FLCC) regulation, and setting up the Indigenous Climate Platform.
The new phase of our support aims to help the Peruvian government improve its ability to monitor and report on specific elements of the country’s NAP, including advancing the implementation of the MEL system to track the progress of the NAP policies and actions.
- #CambiaElClimaCambioYo (As the Climate Changes, So Do I): Launched a communications campaign to engage Peruvians in the country’s efforts to adapt to climate change by changing their own behaviours, attitudes, practices, and habits. The campaign reached more than 2.6 million people, resulting in more than 20,000 new readers engaging with the executive summary of Peru’s National Adaptation Plan. This communications campaign was developed through short-term assistance from the NAP Global Network's Country Support Hub.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) System: Announced during COP 26, in Glasgow, UK, this new support from the NAP Global Network will assist Peru in further developing and implementing a MEL System to track the progress and achievements of the country’s NAP process.
- Ministry of Environment approves Peru's NAP: The country's NAP document was approved and launched by the Peruvian Ministry of Environment.
- sNAPshot | Strategic Communications in Peru's National Adaptation Plans (NAP) Process: Explored how Peru is using strategic communications to advance their NAP process and climate action more broadly.
- Adaptation videos: Created five videos to engage with the public and raise awareness of climate change adaptation and mitigation.
- Peru Hosts a Series of Virtual Meetings as the Final Stage of Developing its NAP Document: Hosted by Peru’s Ministry of Environment on April 23, 2020, the virtual meeting brought together representatives from 13 regional governments.
- Peru Launches a Catalogue with 91 Adaptation Measures to Be Carried Out as Part of its NAP Process: Launched a catalogue with 91 adaptation measures to be implemented as part of the country’s National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process. The catalogue offers a structure for understanding Peru’s ambitions when it comes to adaptation.
- NAP document finalized: With inputs from the participatory process synthesized and incorporated, the development of Peru’s NAP document was finalized. It provides a structure for addressing climate change-related risks across five prioritized sectors, as well as in coordination with sub-national levels of government and non-state actors.
- "Dialoguemos" Process: Supported the communications and stakeholder engagements on adaptation thinking, planning and implementation.
- Second National Climate Change Communicators workshop: Trained media on communicating climate change effectively and accurately, focusing on the Framework Law on Climate Change.
- Catalogue of Peru’s adaptation measures: Outlined all 91 measures to be implemented as part of the country’s NAP process.
- Workshops: Developing Peru’s NAP Document: The Peruvian Ministry of Environment hosted two workshops as part of an ongoing participatory process for developing the country’s NAP. Held in Lima, both events aimed to generate new inputs as well as to update stakeholders on the progress and results of the ongoing NAP process.
- Drafting of the Regulation for the Framework Law on Climate Change (FLCC): Conducted consultations to ensure climate change is framed as an inclusive, people-centred approach.
- Stakeholder consultation from the Peruvian public sector: High-level stakeholders from several government departments assessed a preliminary version of the Peruvian NAP, providing inputs to enhance the document and signalling a commitment to the implementation of adaptation actions in their sectors.
These videos were specially developed to demonstrate the tools and practices taught at Peru's Second Communicator’s Workshop.
- Peruvian Ministry of Environment Launches Participatory Process for the Development of the National Adaptation Plan on Climate Change: The Ministry of Environment of Peru held its first meeting about the participatory process for the development of its climate change NAP.
- Workshops: Developing Peru’s NAP Document: The Peruvian Ministry of Environment hosted a one-day workshop to validate the country’s NAP Document Workplan and Design.
- Adaptation radio announcements: Engaged with the public and raised awareness of climate change adaptation and mitigation.
- NAP conceptual framework: Created a roadmap to inform the development of the NAP document.
- NDC-NAP alignment workshop: Conducted a review to ensure Peru's NAP Document is in line with the country's NDC objectives. This workshop was organized with support from the NAP Global Network's Country Support Hub.
- M&E system: Developed a database to assess the progress and impacts of adaptation actions and raised awareness of adaptation actions in sectoral and government planning.
- First National Climate Change Communicators workshop: Trained media on communicating climate change effectively and accurately.
- NAP Assembly: Coordinated all relevant sectors in the implementation of the country's NAP.