The NAP Global Network has been working with the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries in South Africa since 2017 to advance their NAP process.
We are helping create an enabling environment for the implementation of adaptation actions through targeted technical inputs to the process, as well as support for capacity development and stakeholder engagement.
- Vulnerability and risk assessment for the mining sector: Provided a better understanding to decision-makers in the mining sector of the risks associated with climate change and options for reducing vulnerability.
- Resource mobilization strategy (ongoing): Government actors will have a concrete strategy for mobilizing resources when implementing priority adaptation actions in the NAP.
- Technical training on integrating climate science in policy-making: Increased the capacity of national and provincial government representatives to integrate climate change in decision-making, towards informed implementation of the NAP.
- Stakeholder engagement in the NAP process: Incorporated the perspectives and expertise of adaptation stakeholders in the NAP document, increasing the ownership of the NAP process.
- Costing of adaptation actions in the NAP: Provided government decision-makers with a more informed basis on how to mobilize resources for the implementation of the NAP.